If you have missing teeth and are looking to have them fixed, you may be wondering which is the better route dental bridge or dental implant. They both replace missing teeth and have some of the same key benefits such as:
- Improved Appearance
- Improved Speech
- Easier eating
- Improved Self-esteem
However, there are some differences between dental bridges and dental implants. Below is listed out the differences of Dental Bridge VS Implant.
- Insurance – At the present time Dental Implants are not covered by most insurance, but Dental Bridges are. These procedures can be costly so insurance coverage may be a deciding factor in your Dental Bridge VS Implant decision.
- Better Oral Health – Implants are connected straight to the bone, where Bridges attach to the surrounding teeth. With a Bridge the surrounding teeth must be modified to accommodate the attachment of the false tooth. This can damage an otherwise healthy tooth. An Implant does not affect the neighboring teeth.
- Longevity – Dental Implants can last a life time with good oral hygiene. Bridges typically last 5 to 15 years, but on average 10 years with good oral hygiene.
- Appearance – Implants look exactly like your natural teeth. Bridges can come close, but since the false tooth is not independent of the others, can at times look false, especially if there are multiple teeth being replaced.
Additional factors to take into consideration when making your Dental Bridge VS Implant decision are:
- Where in the mouth the replacement is taking place. If it is a front tooth an Implant might be a better decision if you can afford it, since it will look more natural.
- Your age. An Implant might be a better choice for someone in their twenties, than a Bridge since replacing a bridge every 10 years could become costly and inconvenient.
The first thing to do when deciding between a Bridge or an Implant is talk to your dentist to see what you are a good candidate for. Once you know your options, contact your insurance company to verify what is covered. That way you have a good foundation for making your Dental Bridge VS Implant decision.